Monday, May 28, 2012

Diwali and A Visit From Mama

Oct. 24th, 2011

The day after I got back was a big day in Kolkata. Not only was it Diwali, the “Festival of Lights” celebrated throughout India, but also Kali Puja, the festival honoring Hinduism’s most morbid god, which is most prominently celebrated in Kolkata. My friend Jasma invited me over for a party at her loft in the suburbs (indoor India). I was hesitant because I needed to go to the airport that same night to pick up my mom. Jasma insisted that I would be able to do both, so I agreed. Part of me wanted to stay close to the streets and experience the neighborhood I was familiar with during all the celebratory fervor. I had already promised Jasma, though, that not only would I come, but also that I would cook Moroccan food for the party. So it was settled.

I met Jasma at the mall and we proceeded to do the shopping for the party. She bought a big candle decoration for the entrance way to her apartment. Then we went to the grocery store where we bought all the ingredients for the dishes we would be making. I also got some candies as gifts for her children, Adu and Tara. There was a very important errand we needed to run that could not be fulfilled at the mall. Fireworks. If there is one Indian holiday that requires fireworks, it is Diwali. For this we had to go into a normal, middle class neighborhood with outdoor markets and storefronts that opened to the streets. A little closer to the India that I was more familiar with where bartering to the last rupee was required for even the most insignificant of items. Jasma made me feel like a kid in a candy store, which is basically like a Joey in a firework store. We didn’t get anything too explosive or high-flying, but I was definitely excited. I was most intrigued by the home-made-looking fireworks. They looked like some sort clay bombs, but the kind of bomb that you would see in cartoons or clipart.

I spent a couple hours in the kitchen before the party got started getting my Moroccan dish ready. I was making a tagine, but without the traditional tagine pot. I still had a jar of Ras-el-hanout, the spice blend used for tagines, that I had brought from France. Jasma asked if I wanted to use a pressure cooker, which to me just looked like a big heavy pot. Seemed fine to me. The maids helped me chop all the vegetables and meat, while also teaching me some words in both Bengali and Hindi. They were also cooking a couple dishes and Jasma was working on desserts and pastries. Her sweets were more of the western, cookie and cake variety, than the syrupy confections typically found in Kolkata. Before the party, I helped Jasma and her kids light the candles and decorate the entrance way to her apartment.


One of the most interesting aspects of the night was the diversity of the guests. The first couple to show up was a German/Malay couple. Next was a Brazilian couple. Even the Indians were a diverse mix of Sikhs, Hindus and people from various parts of the country. Seeing as this was a Hindu holiday, though, with free-flowing alcohol, I didn’t notice any Muslims.

 Me and Edmar, from Brazil.


The Moroccan dish, which I learned cooked much faster than I was used to because of the pressure cooker (never used one before or knew what it was for), was a big hit. I was nervous about it, but people commented at how many of the flavors and ingredients resembled Indian cuisine. I also made sure not to hold back on the spice, which worked well for everyone.

After dark, I started to hear the explosions. If I had been unaware of this holiday and in Mumbai or Delhi, I would certainly have thought that we were in the midst of terrorist attacks. They came from all around us. I stepped out onto their 8th floor deck and watched the fireworks rise from the neighborhoods and explode in the distance. Within an hour of sunset, the whole city had a thick haze over it. We eventually went onto the roof of the building to watch. From 18 stories up we were actually at eye level with most of the fireworks exploding around us. We could see flashes coming from ground level from the neighborhoods in the distances. It was awesomely loud. I had one of the best views in the city, but at the same town, I had the longing to experience the rowdiness from ground level in the center of the city. I guess you can’t have it all, and it’s a good reason to make sure I go back.

After getting inspired, we went back down to the parking lot with our own fireworks. While most of them were pretty tame, there was the added thrill that some of them would go off prematurely and you would become a victim of the firework’s shrieking, flaming wrath.



***

Back to the part about my mom visiting. The original plan was for me to leave the party around 10:30 to pick her up from her 11:00 flight. Late in the afternoon, I got an email from my sister that her flight from San Francisco to Frankfurt had been delayed because of President Obama flying in unexpectedly (one of his worst moves as president IMHO). Therefore, she was going to miss her connecting flight from Frankfurt to Kolkata. This was her first time leaving the North American continent, and as far as I know, her first time leaving the country alone, so I was really worried. Big airports can be intimidating enough, but finding yourself alone for the first time in a foreign country after a cancelled flight would be downright scary. Since I couldn’t get in touch with her directly, I called Lufthansa (her airline) and asked what was going to happen. They said that she was rerouted to Bombay, and would then change planes and fly to Kolkata. As much as I saw this as a good cultural experience and a chance for her to deal with all the unpredictable problems of world travel, I really just wanted her to get there as quickly and simply as possible. So I put in a polite request with the travel gods to see my mom safely into Kolkata and hoped for the best.

Since my last time in India, my mom had wanted to come with me on my next trip to volunteer with Missionaries of Charity. The problem was that I was never really sure when I would possibly be coming back to India. I had been planning on it for after graduation from college, but things kept changing. And now that I had the opportunity to come back, my mom had to act fast to arrange for a visit. She got her visa, her vaccinations, travel essentials, a plane ticket and cleared her schedule for late October and early November. Somehow she got all this done on about six weeks notice. That was an impressive feat in itself.

So the morning after Diwali, I took a cab with Andi to his work, and then continued by cab to the airport. I had heard that sometimes flights from Bombay arrive at the international terminal, so I went there first. I was running a little late, so after I realized that her plane had arrived down the street at the domestic terminal, I hustled back that way. By the time I got there, she was already outside, wandering amongst all the people going in and out of the airport. It was actually fortunate that she was at this terminal, since there are not nearly as many hustlers giving you problems and harassing you as at the international terminal. It was so exciting, yet weird, to see her. It was the first time I had seen her in over a year and I knew she was in for the adventure of a lifetime.

She knew that I was not going to molly coddle her when it came to the difficult aspects of India, and all of its unpredictability. At the same time, I didn’t want to give her too much shock right off the bat. I had considered taking the bus into town as I had gotten used to, but really felt that even though it would be cheaper (and far easier and more comfortable than it used to be), taking a taxi into town is an incredible experience in itself. On the way to town, I could tell her excitement about everything around her was overriding some of the general nervousness that can come with the wild roller coaster ride of an Indian taxi. One of the exciting things about her visit was that it gave me a chance to see this city again through fresh eyes. I was curious about what she would notice about the city that I had either gotten used to or had missed somehow. Mama is incredibly observant and I knew that she would have just as much to point out to me as I would have to show her.

Out of respect for my mom, I decided to check out of the Modern Lodge (which is the furthest thing from modern that I could think of) to Hotel Galaxy across the street. Galaxy is still basic and fairly cheap, but much cleaner and more comfortable than the Modern Lodge. It would be a much more enjoyable place for her to spend her time in Kolkata. I had already reserved a big room for us. It was old and basic, but still clean. It almost seemed that it was somebody’s room that we were staying in since there were random things on the shelves and a couple random cardboard boxes on the floor. I was worried that my mom would not be into it, but it turned out that she found it comfy and charming. Best of all, though, were the Sikh guys that ran the place. They were so incredibly sweet and accommodating. There is something about Sikhs. As much racial and religious tension as there is in India, it seems that everyone loves the Sikhs. I really hate to generalize, but they seem to be some of the most consistently friendly and hospitable people in India. Their religion is something of a mishmash of Hinduism of Islam, but taking all the best parts. So there is no prohibition of beef, pork or alcohol. And they get swords. Yes, mostly they get swords.

No comments:

Post a Comment