Thursday, May 17, 2012

36-Hour Train Ride for Taco Bell


Oct. 16, 2011

So now I was off to Bangalore for this mysterious conference. It is the event that lured and enabled me to finally come back to India. Back in May, when I was living with Lise in France, I was applying to a slew of photography competitions, galleries and submitting a few grant proposals. Not much resulted from my efforts, but one of the more obscure ones proved worth it. When I was in Cambodia, I was contacted by the UN’s Forestry and Agriculture Organization, notifying me that I had won their photo competition. The award, for my series on the use of wood by the Bozo people of Mali, was a trip to India to attend the organization’s conference on “The Art and Joy of Wood”. And since I was already halfway to India from my home town, I had managed to come to agreement with them that they would pay for whatever the travel costs were for me to get from Cambodia to Bangalore and back to Idaho, as long as it did not exceed the cost of a roundtrip ticket from Idaho to Bangalore. This gave me some flexibility with how I got from Kolkata to Bangalore. In fact, I could have easily gotten a first class train ticket or maybe even flown. I still couldn’t bring myself to do this though, and ended up going with second class sleeper. I did, however, splurge and paid the extra few bucks to get meals included in the ticket.

I checked out of my hotel room early in the morning, and went to the Sikh-run guesthouse across the street to check in most of my baggage into their storage area, since they would charge me less. I was traveling pretty light and it felt good to be that much more mobile. I hopped onto a crowded bus, then a crowded ferry and eventually arrived at the overwhelming Howrah Station. I was a little bit nervous, for I was about to embark on my longest trip on public transit in my travel history. It was a 36-hour train (if there were no delays) to get to Bangalore. It would surpass my previous record of a 24-hour bus ride from the Caribbean coast of Nicaragua to the capital. At least on this new journey I would have a bed to myself.

I felt fortunate to have scored an upper berth. This meant that if I ever felt like laying down throughout the trip I was welcome to. The middle and lower berths are only used for laying down at night. The only downside was that if I chose to stretch out up top, I wouldn’t be able to see out the window. The meals were hearty portions of rice, roti, dal (lentils), egg curry, pickles and chutneys. It was hot and filling, but pretty bland nonetheless. I would usually descend from my berth to eat my meals. When everyone was done they threw their waste either on the floor or out the window. I was fine with this behavior in the city, where everything would eventually get swept up, but it was hard to do this when we were cruising through the countryside. I really just had to not think about it.

The scenery I did see was not the most intriguing. Mostly just flat fields of rice and grains and the occasional non-descript town or village. In the end, the journey was not nearly as grueling or uncomfortable as many others I have taken. I have always been a pro at road trips as long as I have something to read. 

I arrived at Yesvantpur Train Station in the late afternoon. It was far from town and surprisingly uncrowded. The fact that it was not the busiest station in the city did not mean that there wouldn’t be hustlers preying on the one foreigner getting off the train. They were persistent about latching them onto me to help with transport or hotel, but I was equally persistent with a rude, intolerant attitude. None of the auto rickshaws would agree to take me with their taxi-meter on, so I ended up asking around for which bus to take to get to the part of town I needed to get to. A young, polite college student helped me out and got me onto the right bus. I am always very grateful for the rare person like him that always ends up saving you in a typical Indian jam. As I was on the bus, it occurred to me that everyone else arriving for the conference, especially those that were invited to the conference like me, were flying directly into Bangalore and would be met with an arranged taxi to take them to their hotel room. Since I was arriving on train, I told them not to go out of their way for me and I would be able to figure it out. It didn’t seem odd to me, as this was just business as usual.

One of the first things I noticed about Bangalore, which is now known as Bengaluru, was the local script for the local language of  “Kannada”. It reminded me a lot of the Khmer script from Cambodia, and I believe that they are actually related. The first Indians that came to Cambodia to spread the Hindu religion were from the south, and the modern script of Cambodia is actually based on what was brought from the Hindus. I also noticed that there were a lot more drinking establishments and liquor stores. In Kolkata, bars seemed rare and seedy and the liquor stores were equally sketchy. Bangalore has a reputation as something of a young party town. Then again, it does not say a whole lot to be THE party town of India. I would later find out that it still has a lot of progress to make to keep up with the rest of the world’s party towns. Although it is an incredibly old city with lots of religious history, it is now most famous as one of India’s biggest IT and science hubs. Despite its traffic and outdated infrastructure, it is a quickly changing and fast-growing city with a youthful population flaunting a surplus of disposable income.

My bus dropped me off close to where I would be spending my first night, although it took a while to get oriented and figure out which direction I actually needed to go. I had a room reserved at the guesthouse at a research institute that was part of one of Bangalore’s science and technology schools. The room was pretty decent and definitely several steps up from anything else I had ever had in Kolkata. It was not a surprise to suddenly have air-conditioning and even a TV in my room, but it was still a welcome treat.

That night, I walked around the neighborhood west of where I was staying. The streets were crowded with young couples and families out shopping for clothes and decorations for the upcoming holiday of Diwali, the festival of lights. I was excited to see what kinds of street foods were on offer, as Bangalore has a great reputation in this realm. Although this part of India has one of the most consistently pleasant climates year round (never too hot, nor humid) they had a surprising selection of cool, refreshing drinks and snacks available. There were tons of stalls hawking cold fruit juices, ice creams and shake-like drinks. Although this exists in Kolkata, they are the expensive exception, not the norm.

One surprise was that in this supposed hub of modernism and technology, it was actually quite difficult to find an internet café. Perhaps it was simply because of their advanced technology, though. Nobody needs internet cafes because people actually own their own computers here and might even have the internet at home.

Since I arrived a little early for the conference, I spent my next day exploring a few different parts of the city. I first took a series of buses to the “Bull Temple”, a Dravidian style temple built in the 16th century. I got a little lost on the way as the buses were rerouted due to construction. This didn’t bother me as it led me to explore some of the surrounding neighborhoods. They were the closest thing to quaint that I had seen in India. It was calm and the buildings were colorful. Nothing seemed cramped or rushed. It was a rare moment that I could be in an Indian city and go for a stress-free stroll.

The Bull Temple was set within a quiet public park. The temple itself was relatively modest and there actually weren’t too many people there, unlike many of the other pilgrimage sites that I had seen. Within the temple there was a gigantic granite statue of “Nandi”, Shiva’s bull vehicle. After admiring the nearly half-millennium old structure, I took a walk through the park. Bangalore is known for its green spaces and this one was impressively clean and well kept. There was another temple, this one for Ganesha, but it was closed, so I went on my way. Getting back to my part of town on the bus wasn’t easy and it took a couple of transfers. One of the points of transfer was at a major transit point near the Krishnarajendra Market. My first impressions of the city were that it was cleaner, quieter and less crowded than Kolkata. This market area and transit hub next to the Jama Masjid (central mosque), however, was suffocatingly congested and overwhelming. At the same time, it was good to see that this mall-ridden up-and-comer of a city still had quite a bit of edge to it. Since we were near the central mosque and what seemed to be a Muslim district, I decided I wouldn’t waste the opportunity to get some cheap beef kebabs. It is a special treat I try to indulge in every time I find myself in a Muslim neighborhood in India. I wandered down a narrow street and eventually found a small alley with a couple of kebab shops. The men walking around the streets gave me less than inviting looks. Or perhaps I was just imagining the feel of being unwelcome because of all the Urdu script and Pakistani flags hanging in the shops and windows. It was a little intimidating, but I chose a decent stall and got a couple of kebabs that tore at my throat with their unrelenting spice.

Back on the street, I was surprised to see that just behind the mosque there were a couple of dingy looking drinking establishments. I have barely experienced any sort of drinking culture in India, but was curious what I would find. I walked up a narrow set of dark stairs that led to a dark room with some tables and a little liquor shop. It basically functioned like a liquor store that you can drink in. The only light source was from the windows. The men glanced up from their drinks apathetically or with a slight hint of disdain. It was about as close as I have felt to Steve Buscemi’s character in the opening scene of Desperado. I looked around and followed everyone’s lead by getting a tiny bottle of whiskey and had the bartender pour me a glass of coke. At my empty table I looked around and realized it was one of the most depressing drinking establishments I had ever seen. There was no hint of joy on anyone’s faces. Nobody was having a good time. They were just getting through their miserable day, letting the liquor help them ignore their demons. I felt bad for them, but felt worse for the family they might be going home to at the end of the day. I finished my drink quickly and got out of there. Usually I like the rough around the edges, working man’s bars when I am traveling. They are usually the most fun. This, however, was very different and I had very little desire to go to another one.

My final mission for the day was to go to a mall on my way home and make a pilgrimage to India’s first (and currently only) Taco Bell. I remember when I first heard that Taco Bell would be opening in Bangalore a few years ago. I was intrigued by the idea of it. So when I found out I would be going to Bangalore, I knew that I would need to try it. It was in one of Bangalore’s many malls, across the corridor from a KFC, which actually appeared to be a lot more popular. While McDonald’s, Domino’s and KFC serve foods that are easily recognizable internationally, I wouldn’t be surprised if Taco Bell’s menu just seemed confusing to people in India. It was almost empty, and I wondered if this would remain the only Taco Bell in the country. It was also the cleanest Taco Bell I have ever seen, with the best service. There was a colorful standup sign that introduced customers to the basics of the Taco Bell menu. It explained what a taco was and said that a tortilla was like a Mexican roti. I am sure that plenty of Americans have likewise explained roti as like an Indian tortilla. I ordered the chicken and rice burrito so I could compare it to what I knew back home, and also a paneer and potato burrito to see what kind of Indian twists would be brought to the table. They were stingy with the fire sauces, which I thought was not only unfair to me, but also to all the other Indians that need their heat. In the end, the food was pretty similar to what I knew back home, except of course with the addition of paneer, and the potatoes came in the form of tater tots. Of course, I am against the idea of fast food, and even more so the potential it has in destroying food cultures globally. Places like Subway and KFC are invasive weeds that can now pop up almost anywhere in the world and be successful at the expense of local businesses and eating traditions. However, I still find them interesting as a cultural experiment to see how these chains adapt their rigid image to fit in just enough where they open up. My decisions to visit the divey drinking hole and the Taco Bell were both made based on my curiosity, perhaps even in a voyeuristic way. And as different as they were, I left them a little bit more depressed than when I had entered. Something about what the privileged in the developing world are aspiring to, and what those that are left behind turn to in their rough situation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment