Monday, April 15, 2013

It's Christmas Time in the City.


23 December 2012

To celebrate Christmas, I went to my Luke and Caitlan’s house. We were not sure about transportation to each other’s sites. Officially, It would require a two hour bus, followed by a 45-minute moto ride. This seemed far too complicated, so I asked around about whether there were back roads that could get me there easier. As the crow flies we could not have been more than 20 km away from each other. Indeed I was able to find a moto driver that would take me there for a reasonable price.

The ride, which was entirely uphill for almost an hour, was incredible. There were deep, green ravines off to my left. We rode dangerously close to the edge as my driver, Pussy (like cat), made a call on his cell phone. I was amazed to see homes on the other side of the ravine. I wondered how they reached the nearest town, as they seemed completely cut off.

Deep in the hills, at an elevation at least a couple thousand meters higher than my home, I arrived at Luke and Caitlan’s site. When I walked into their house, I was delighted to see the work they had done to make their home not just clean and livable, but even cozy. When I had seen it when they moved in it looked depressing. A grass mat, some decorations on the walls, clean floors and some Christmas lights went a long way. They had even made a paper Christmas tree to put on the wall, next to their paper fireplace with paper stockings. It was awesome. I was so glad I was able to go there for Christmas. I think that just about all of our training group was getting together in a few different locations. Our Christmas party would definitely be the smallest and most low key. I was glad for this though. It felt very family-like. We spent most of our time hanging out and cooking.

Christmas Tree, Mantle and Stockings. Just like home.


That day, though, we had been invited to lunch by one of their friends in town; a fellow teacher named Samuel. He was also the owner of a restaurant, called “Healthy Resto-Bar”. We ate in his home, however, which was a single room about half the size of a small college dorm room. He pulled out a small, yellow jerry can and poured us each a glass of homemade banana beer. As we waited for the food, I am assuming to be delivered from his restaurant, we listened to music from his “OLPC” laptop. Do you remember that organization, “One Laptop Per Child”, that was trying to distribute simple, durable laptops to children in developing countries? Well, Rwanda was one of those countries, and I have heard only stories of those laptops being in the hands of people other than students. It makes sense when you are here. If a school got a shipment of 20 laptops, they wouldn’t possibly just give them out. First, there would not be enough for the hundreds of students at the schools. Second, the teachers, at least some of them, would certainly manage to snag them and keep them for themselves. The schools don’t even have books, and sometimes not even electricity. Giving laptops seemed to show poor judgment and misplaced priorities. Anyway, lunch was good, and I was served the biggest piece of liver. It was dry and livery, but not the worst I had ever had. Even though it was only noon, Samuel kept topping off or glasses of banana beer, until the jerry can was empty. He was a cool guy, and we invited him to dinner the next night.

On Christmas eve we started to get in the Christmas spirit. We cooked all day and listened to Christmas music. We made fried rice with pork and pineapple for lunch. For dinner we were making Mexican food. I was making my cochinita pibil, and while it marinated, we went to the market. We were on a search for ugly Christmas sweaters. It was last minute, but we knew it was possible, as we had seen people wearing them on occasion. We found one, plus a Christmas-themed Betty Boop shirt.

That night Samuel came over for our Mexican Christmas Eve feast. Caitlan made tortillas and guacamole. Plus we made a huge pot of Mexican rice. I was worried that Samuel would not like the food. Previous experiences with serving non-Rwandan food to Rwandans had shown mixed to negative results. Samuel, however, loved the food and ate a lot. I had also made a vanilla mango liqueur which he also liked. The final test, though, was whether he would like my spicy tequila. I had bought some tequila back in Atlanta, then infused it with chilies at site, and was finally breaking it out for the special occasion. It was a big treat. Best of all, it was not wasted on Samuel. He seemed to tolerate, if not enjoy, it.

On Christmas morning, we opened our gifts, which were nestled under our paper Christmas tree. Caitlan had made Luke a big poster collage. It featured a lot of pictures from magazines of different places in the world. It said, in big letters, “Not all those who wander are lost.” It was very cute. Luke made Caitlan a backgammon set. He had found some thin pieces of wood and glued them into a real backgammon board. He used paint to draw the board. He had gone around the local bars to ask for bottle caps for the pieces, but they didn’t understand him. So he dug them out of the dirt around the bar. He also carved a couple of dice out wood. On the opposite side of the backgammon board, he painted a checkerboard. The board featured poetry very in English by, I want to say T.S. Eliot, and in French by…a French poet. It was a really cool, and romantic gift. When they were traveling together in Eastern Europe, they had taken a backgammon board everywhere they went. They had a tradition of writing all the places they had played it right on the board. They gave me a jar, which was basically like giving me a new jar of jam, and a whole bunch of candy that they had gotten in a care package. Little Butterfingers and Reese’s were a great Christmas morning appetizer. I was saving the Hershey’s bars, though, for making s’mores. I gave them pairs of tire sandals from my market and a jar of my mango chutney. I learned that Luke’s mom and my mom have the same Christmas morning breakfast tradition of pull-apart bread (monkey bread). So we made it. Well, I think Caitlan mostly made it, while I just started the charcoal stove. It was delicious. Although I was far from home and missed my family, it was still a really special Christmas. 

Our presents nestled under the tree.


For lunch we ate some of our huge amounts of leftovers, as well as easy cheese and (on) summer sausage that they had gotten in a care package. For dinner we made breakfast. It was very influenced on their Midwest/southern upbringing. Biscuits, gravy, eggs, and hash browns. Hint to everyone: while I am not a bad cook, never put me in charge of hash browns. I don’t know what I did, but they were mostly inedible, unless you’re Luke. Afterward, I went to town to pick us up a round of beers from the bar. Part of me wanted to go into town to enjoy the day with everyone else, but it was so relaxing at home. I was glad that I got a glimpse of what was going on, though. Since it is a very Catholic town, everyone was freely drinking at the bar. There was a DJ, Christmas decorations, lots of drunk people and even more kids running around. It was an interesting scene. I imagined that this was probably a lot more raucous than whatever was going on down in my much bigger, though much more protestant town.

I was planning on leaving the day after Christmas, but I was tired and they said that I could stick around another day. I still felt like I was violating that rule about visitors being like fish; they start to smell after three days. Well, I was probably smelling anyway. Their site, unlike mine, is too cold for cold showers. Not much happened that day. Lots of games of yahtzee and backgammon. Then we watched Forrest Gump, which we decided can happen on every holiday.

The next day I made the journey back home on a moto. I felt a little ripped off, though, since the driver only had his motor on for about 7 minutes of the hour ride. The rest was just coasting down the hill. Now that I had a new jar, and had emptied another one, I spent that evening making mango cinnamon jam. It was so good that I wondered why it wasn’t more common to put spices into jams. Fools!





No comments:

Post a Comment